We provide here a brief overview of our activities that go beyond the projects listed under research.
NLPott: Natural Language Processing meet-up in the Ruhr-area
We organize a periodical Natural Language Processing meet-up in the Ruhr-area called NLPott. This meet up is a good opportunity for people interested (not just) in NLP to come together for a drink in a cozy atmosphere. If you don't want to miss the next NLPott, we can add you to our mailing list.
DKPro Core & DKPro Text Classification
We are maintainers of the open-source Natural Language Processing frameworks DKPro Core and DKPro Text Classification. Both projects are Apache UIMA based frameworks.
DKPro Core started in 2007 and is a software middle layer, which wraps a steadily growing number of NLP tools to easily create powerful NLP processing pipelines. DKPro TC started in 2014 and provides a similar software middle layer, which wraps a number of machine learning classifiers to easily switch between them.
As practitioners, we regularly participate in shared tasks. We are ranked
- 1st in the SemEval 2012 semantic text similarity shared task in English
- 2nd in the EmpiriST 2015 part-of-speech tagging shared task for German
- 2nd in the PosTWITA 2016 part-of-speech tagging shared task for Italian.
Furthermore, we are organizers of the following shared tasks
Conference workshops & symposia
We organize conference workshops and symposia to inter-connect researchers and offer platforms for discussions on selected topics. Most recently, we organized:
Invited talks & keynote speeches
We frequently hold talks or keynote speeches:
- Alexa, warum verstehst du mich nicht? at Engineers night, 2019
- Educational NLP at work: Automatically ____ gap-fill exercise items at National Research Council (NRC) in Canda, Ottawa, 2017